Acupuncture is an exciting medical practice that focuses on correcting imbalances of energy in the body while ushering medicine users into a whole new world of drug-free curative needling. Originated in China nearly 2,500 years ago, Acupuncture is a holistic health technique which makes use of needles to penetrate the skin with small needles at specific points on the body by a certified medical practitioner. The aim is to clear energy blockages and encourage normal flow of chi or qi which is believed to be the vital force in a life form. Ostensibly, an imbalance in the flow of chi causes diseases. Moreover, It also brings relief to chronic pain that accompanies many ailments.
With the wide range of benefits that can be obtained by stimulating certain nerve endings of the body, acupuncture can be used to relieve a wide variety of health conditions.
- Medical benefits include the provision of drug-free pain relief, the effective treatment of a wide range of chronic illnesses, healing of the underlying cause of diseases as well as the symptoms, provision of a holistic approach to the treatment of ailments where it links the body, mind, and emotions for general well being. It also assists in the prevention of diseases and maintenance of good health.
- Acupuncture holistic effect is evidenced in the broad spectrum of disorders it cures. Some of these are neurological conditions such as headaches and migraines, nervous tension, sleep disorders, stroke, some form of deafness and paralysis, facial and intercostal neuralgia, sequelae polio, peripheral neuropathy, noises in the ear, dizziness and Meniere’s disease. It also targets cardiovascular (heart) conditions that include high and low blood pressure, fluid retention, heart attack(angina pectoris), cold hands and feet among others heart-related complications.
- Health challenges of the respiratory tract that these practice cures include bronchial asthma, bronchitis, hay fever, sore throat, influenza and the common cold.
- Disorders of the digestive system include oral, and gum diseases, the hiccough, spasmodic esophagus, a wide range illnesses related to the stomach and intestines have been seen to be treated by the acupuncturists.
- Urogenital disorders and diseases of the reproductive system in their varying magnitude and types have also been cured owing to acupuncture.
- There are psychological conditions ranging from depression, phobias to anxiety and various addictions that are treatable through acupuncture.
- Various muscular-skeletal ailments that are illnesses of the muscles and the skeleton are curable by acupuncture. These are notably back pain, osteoarthritis, sciatica, ‘frozen shoulder’ and the ‘tennis elbow’.
If you’re wondering if Acupuncture is a viable therapy option, then the answer is a resounding yes, especially for chronic pain and the benefits listed above. A number of placebo experiments have laid testament to this as its shown to legitimately improve your health. Moreover, there are relatively few side effects, provided acupuncture is well delivered. This makes it imperative that the acupuncturist you choose is trained and certified as one must avoid puncturing organs or causing other adverse effects. As of now, Acupuncture has proven to be of great help to thousands of people around the world and its benefits will most likely increase as more research is done on this front.